Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mr. and Mrs. B.

From the first day of kindergarten I knew I had a choice--correct the pronunciation of my name or not. And decades later, same deal. 

My last name (maiden name) was easily readable from the class roll so no problems there, but my first name not so much. 

Honestly, I felt that made me unique, special. And since I've been married, I've legally accepted a last name pronunciation problem too. 

Bullough

Go ahead, take your best guess at first look. How would you say it?

Bulloff, Bulla, Bylow, even Bullock (where'd they get the "k" from?...)
I've heard all possible pronunciations in the short time I've been married to the wonderful Mr. B.

It's Bull-O.

Like Jell-o.
Like "bull" as in the animal and then "o" as in "dough."
Like "bowl" where you eat your favorite cereal... like a CheeriO.
Like B. and U. and L. L. O.



....the "ugh" is silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment